Monday, August 4, 2008

Feather boas and high-heel shoes.



Many things amaze me about children.

The difference between girls and boys in particular interested me last night.

I was sitting in the recliner thinking about Caroline and how much she has grown. It hit me how much of a little girl she is.

I love that her hair is long enough to put up in a ponytail. (She has just now gotten to the point where she will leave her hair UP and not pull it down 2 minutes after I fix it.)

I love painting her little baby toes. (She will talk about her painted toes for weeks.)

I love that she carries a pocketbook with her arm held way up in the air. (This is most commonly seen among the extremely young and the extremely old.)

I love that she puts on every single strand of beads she owns. (She can't just put on one strand.)

She has boas and silver shoes with feathers.

She loves chapstick. (I caught her digging her finger in the tube and actually eating it by the finger-full one day.)

She has finally gotten into her Fancy Nancy books. They are just FABULOUS! If you have a little girl, invest in these books. They are hilarious and fun for you and your child. They come complete with glittery book covers.

All those cute dress up things girls enjoy... she loves.

So, it hit me last night that girls are just born to love those things. You don't teach your children to love only pink, glittery things. That is just what Caroline is drawn to.

In one corner of the living room, she has a basketball goal, golf clubs, and a bucket full of balls.

In the other corner, she has a tall pink basket full of babies, cell phones, dress-up stuff, pocketbooks, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the girl has an arm. She loves to throw and kick a ball. She loves to watch golf and basketball with her Daddy. She is going to very active in sports if she keeps it up.

However, boys aren't drawn to baby dolls and silver and pink feathery shoes. Boys don't pick up a baby and pretend to be its mama.

Caroline will walk around the house with her baby. She will talk to it in her nonsense talk. She will cradle it like a baby. She is being a little mama. (However, a few weeks ago we caught her in the corner yelling, "SHUTUP BABY!" NOT VERY MOTHERLY. Where she learned this???? We are still debating. That is NOT a word we use often.)

Maybe little boys do this... and I just haven't seen it yet.

If I'm wrong, let me know.

I just think it is amazing that my little girl is such a little girl without being taught.

It is almost as if little girls are born with that motherly instinct. It is like it is embedded in them.

It is just amazing to me.

How do your babies act? Are your girls different than your boys?

Let me know. I am curious.


Fancy Nancy Madame Alexander Doll and Tub of Girly Goodies

No comments: