Wednesday, July 18, 2012

OMG

Big was sitting on the couch eating her mini corndogs (yes, I feed my children that trash.  I also let them drink Coke while they said trash.  Sue me.)

She called me into the den.

I just knew there was another spill or ketchup smeared on the walls again.

No.

This time I walked in and she looked up at me and said, "Mom, how many more years until I am in college?"

I automatically answered, "A LOT!"

Ummm... no.  Not really.

I thought about it.  I stood there in utter disbelief.  This was the first time I had realized how little time she has left as an elementary school, middle school and high school student.

"12.  Only 12 more years," I told her with a big lump in my throat.

These past 6 years have gone by so incredibly fast.  Before I know it, 12 years will have passed and my Big will be packing up to go to college.

I will admit, some days I wish things were easier.  My children are at such a demanding age.  In reality, I know I will miss it.  I am sure there will be a honeymoon period though where I am in paradise and my kids will leave the hell alone.  I am so looking forward to those days.  But the reality of the situation... I am not looking forward to.

12 years.

12 years and my Big will be a college student.

I am going to go cry now.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness. I don't even want to think about my kids going to college. 12 years sounds like a long time...but it's really not!