Friday, May 11, 2012

I think so. Woah!

Did you see the cover of TIME that went viral yesterday??



This is Jamie Lynne Grumet.

That is her 3-year old son. Standing in a chair. Breastfeeding.

You are reading and seeing this all correctly.

What the hell?

Obviously, it is a very controversial cover.

An almost 4 year old (according to research, he will be 4 next month) is breastfeeding.

Extreme?

I think so.

Awkward?

I think so.

Her son is going to kill her when he is sixteen?

I think so.

Hopefully, he will not still be breastfeeding at that age.

And more importantly, the little nutjob has TEETH.

TEETH!

He will be getting his molars in in about a year.

He can chew steak, chicken, pork.

Still eating from the boob?

That cannot be appetizing.

Yuck.

I get that this mom is very into attached parenting.

Great for her.

I would rip my face off if I was practicing attached parenting.

The three tenets are extended breast-feeding, co-sleeping and “baby wearing,” in which infants are physically attached to their parents by slings.

I think that is awesome.

Breastfeed for as long as you can.
I couldn't do it for an extended period of time.  I did it for as long as I could and I am proud of myself.  To be honest, I hated it.  I loved pumping but hated actually breastfeeding.

Co-sleep if you feel like it.
To be honest, we "co-slept" with Caroline because that was the only way we could actually get some sleep. She was is hell on wheels when it comes to sleeping.  The girl HATES sleep.  We did not co-sleep with Emma because she was so teeny tiny.  She did sleep in a bassinet that was pulled up right beside my bed.  She co-sleeps now (if that is what you want to call it).  We call it "coming in our bed in the middle of the night and kicking Mama in the face all night and head butting Daddy all night" sleeping.  Fun times.

Baby wearing is awesome.
This was a life saver with Emma.  She was so tiny and loved skin to skin contact.  This lead me to really read up on baby wearing.  I have tons of slings, wraps, and structured carriers.  It never failed that supper time was ALWAYS meltdown time for Bug.  I would cook dinner with her strapped to the front of me.  She spent tons of time in a sling.  She loved it and so did I.

What do you think?

Does this cover give breastfeeding a bad name?

Was this an EXTREME case of attached parenting?

Here are a few of my favorite tweets:

@denisleary tweeted: 67% of women offended by Time magazine breastfeeding cover of mom & her 4 yr old son. 98% of men wish they WERE the son.

@danecook tweeted: Time Magazine's cover is pretty ballsy or tittsy. The kid looks nourished. Wonder if they call that the yum yum chair.


No comments: