Thursday, August 2, 2012

Breastfeeding Bloomberg

I am sure mommy blogs everywhere are buzzing.

I am NOT getting all political.

That is not what this blog is for.

However, I am curious what you mothers think.

Mayor Bloomberg has royally ticked people off.

I mean royally.

By people, I mean mothers.

Bloomberg is obviously pro-breastfeeding.  That is awesome.  I'm not bashing that.

However, his "Latch On NYC" initiative is starting September 3, 2012.  This means baby formula in some New York hospitals will be under lock and key along with the narcotics.

Nice, huh?

Nutjob criminals everywhere but heaven forbid we give our babies formula.

It was said formula must now be stored in "locked boxes or in out of the way, secure storerooms."  (credit)

What is even better is the fact that nurses must "record a medical reason for giving a baby a formula bottle."  Like nurses don't have a million other things to worry about.

I am pretty positive, there will be smuggling of baby formula into hospital rooms all over New York City.

I am also pretty sure that if I didn't want to breastfeed my child, I wouldn't.

I am for breastfeeding... if it is right for you.

It is clinically proven that breast milk is best for our babies but sometimes breastfeeding doesn't work out for us as mothers.

I, for one, never enjoyed it.  I didn't enjoy it for one little second.

Then again, I cried like a baby when I gave Caroline her first bottle of formula.

I feel like mothers as a whole put a stamp of greatness on breastfeeding and frown upon those that choose not to breastfeed.

I feel like this whole situation in New York is going to be the toughest for moms like me... moms that hate breastfeeding but hate to give our babies formula.

A program like "Latch On NYC" makes it even harder to "give up" breastfeeding and give your baby formula.

When you stop breastfeeding, even if you don't like it, you feel like a failure.  You feel like you have failed your child.

"Latch On NYC" is only going to make it harder for us to tell our peditricians we just don't want to breastfeed anymore.

To be honest, it will just make us feel like even bigger failures than we already do.

What happened to the right to choose what is best for YOUR baby and YOURSELF?

How do you feel about the "Latch On NYC" program?

What would you do if you were told you had to breastfeed your child because you didn't have a medical reason not to?

Talk amongst yourselves.

-----------------------------------------------------

More articles:

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/mayor-bloomberg-sucks-it-up/

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1235328--nyc-mayor-bloomberg-latches-on-to-new-breastfeeding-plan


No comments: