I cannot believe that I have an almost 6 year old and an almost 1st grader.
Caroline has a whole day of school today and a half day tomorrow.
Then summer vacation will begin.
We are all excited.
I threw together a list similar to the one Jess made. Hers is much cuter but I do the best I can. ;-) (Also, if you don't know Jess, she is awesome. You will love her blog!)
So without further ado, our list of things to accomplish this summer...
- Our local aquarium has a new penguin exhibit until September 30th. If you didn't know, I am obsessed with penguins. Ever since I read And Tango Makes Three in college and learned that penguins are one of the few animals that mate for life, I was in love. Mate for life! So cool! I must go meet South, Oswald, Sly & Suki.
- We love the splash pad. We live in proximity to two splash pads. Decisions, decisions.
- We love to do pottery in the summer at the local pottery playhouse. Mighty Tot time on Thursdays is the best!
- Pool, duh!
- Plant pumpkins. I cheated on this one. I took it from Jess's list. We have already planted our pumpkins. It is the first time we have ever done it so *fingers crossed* we get at least one pumpkin.
- Popsicles because what is a summer without popsicles?
- Go carts and putt-putt are a summer must. We started the tradition last year and plan on taking the girls again this year.
- The library has storytime on Tuesdays at 10:45am. Score! We plan on making it an every Tuesday event.
- Water balloons are one of our favorite activities. Throwing a water at someone NEVER gets old.
- Catch fireflies. The girls LOVE this. (Sidenote: remember when you were little and would rip their tails off and stick them on your arms so you would glow too?)
- We recently got an ice cream maker. I have never made homemade ice cream. We can't wait to make it with fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches, blackberries, etc.
- Paint class is a monthly event for me. I love it. I always go with my sister and we have the best time. I took Caroline last summer and she fell in love too. I have big plans to take her a few times this summer.
- Finding seashells is so addicting. My Dad is the ultimate seashell hunter. He knows the names of every shell (some I am sure he has made up, ha!) and has taught my girls. Our goal this summer? To find a scotch bonnet. It is our state shell. I have only ever found ONE whole scotch bonnet. We are feeling lucky about it this summer though!
- Surf fishing is a must. The girls are dying to catch a baby sand shark. They think they are the coolest. We did find a spiny blowfish/porcupinefish/hedgehog fish (it has a million names) when we were down at the beach Memorial weekend. He is pretty cool, huh?
- Shelling butter beans is one of my favorite summer activities. It reminds me so much of my great Grandma. She would shell and snap beans for hours in a little silver bowl with a trash can sitting beside her. I loved watching her and "helping" her. I can't wait to teach my girls!
- We plan on doing a lot of slipping-n-sliding this summer! I better get the Dawn dish soap ready!
- We have never been to Marbles. We are going to change that this summer!
- Jet skis and tubing... so fun!
- I found these on pinterest (click here to follow me) and I HAVE to make them this summer...
- We are doing the Pottery Barn Kids Summer Reading Challenge. Jumanji and Tuesday are two of my favorites. I can't wait to share them with my girls!
- Get dirty. Our feet are ALWAYS dirty in the summer ;-)
- I've always wanted to make homemade bread. I think it is time we try to do it!
What is on your summer to do list??