Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The staring game.



Big has always been a curious child.

She listens to everything and everyone around her.  She takes it all in.  Sometimes she will even go back and repeat what I have said.  Fun times.

While Big is very observant, she is a starer.  I am talking the girl will stare at you until there is an uncomfortable feeling in the air.

When she was younger, I loaded the girls up for a Target trip.  As I was standing in line to pay, Big and this lady had a staring contest.  Just as I could feel the awkwardness in the air, the lady said, "Well hello!  You are a beautiful little girl!"  Do you know what Big did?  Kept staring for an awkward amount of time and then stomped at the lady.  STOMPED!

Thank goodness the lady just laughed.  I was mortified.  I wanted to leave my cart in the checkout line and leave the store.  I did my normal apologies to the lady.  She smiled and laughed.  She said it was fine and she totally understood.

Just the other day, we took a late afternoon trip to the pool.  We were the only family there.  The lifeguard was in the water scrubbing the tiles.  As she floated around, Big followed her... staring.  She never said anything to the lifeguard.  The lifeguard never said anything to her.

Straight up stalker status.

In the meantime, we are talking to her about staring.  "It is rude," we say.  "At least speak to the person once they catch you staring," we beg.

Do you know what she does?

Just stares.

Stares.

No comments: