Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My newest treasure.


As I walked along the beach yesterday, I was losing hope of finding the perfect shells.

Most of the time after a storm, you can find beautiful shells.

Today was ridiculous.  Little piles of broken shells.  I did not find one auger.  I did not find one olive.  That is unheard of in ENC.  Those should be our state shell.  Why they are not, I will never understand.

I went to the water to "look for shells" one last time.  I sat down in the water determined to find SOMETHING.  I scanned.  I searched.  I pushed broken shells around.  I slid over about a foot.  As soon as I sat, I spotted it.  I jumped up.

There it was.  All by its lonesome.  Sitting on a pile of sand in a pool of water that was gathering as the tide was crashing in.

I carefully picked it up, cradled it in my hand and ran as fast as I could back to my chair.   Looking back on the event, I felt like Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I found the golden ticket.  I found a baby sand dollar.

What an amazing feeling.

No comments: