Monday, July 14, 2014

Car trouble.

My children have this issue when I'm driving.

"I NEED that yellow piece of paper."

"What yellow piece of paper?"

My car could be on the most extreme episode of Hoarders- Buried Alive.

Seriously.

One yellow piece of paper in the midst of a million other pieces of paper, coats, clothes, pocket books, books, old food.

"That yellow piece of paper RIGHT THERE!"

"I'm driving.  I can't get anything for you right now."

Tears start.

Screams begin.

They kick the back of my seat.

All over a piece of paper or something equally non-important.

So, lately I have been trying to figure out the best way to handle this car situation.

How can I explain to my children that when I am driving... driving has to be my main focus?

"MOM LOOK!"

"Mommy can't look.  I am driving."

"LOOK!  PLEASE LOOK!  I NEED YOU TO LOOK RIGHT NOW!"

Most of the time I spend driving is spent in absolute anguish.

I know other moms have this issue too.

A friend of mine was taking Big to school one morning.  Her daughter and Big are in the same class and are great friends.  Big's friend started to pretend to choke.  The mother turned around really fast (forgetting about driving because she thinks her child is choking) and rear-ended the car in front of her.

See, it happens.  Our children preoccupy every thought or task we have a mothers.

So, how can I keep my children entertained in the car so that they do not try to preoccupy me?

No comments: