Thursday, June 7, 2012

Yay Summer!

I made it through Caroline's Kindergarten graduation yesterday with no tears.

I cannot believe that I have an almost 6 year old and an almost 1st grader.

Wow!

1st grade!

Caroline has a whole day of school today and a half day tomorrow.

Then summer vacation will begin.

We are all excited.

I threw together a list similar to the one Jess made.  Hers is much cuter but I do the best I can. ;-)  (Also, if you don't know Jess, she is awesome.  You will love her blog!)

So without further ado, our list of things to accomplish this summer...


- Our local aquarium has a new penguin exhibit until September 30th.  If you didn't know, I am obsessed with penguins.  Ever since I read And Tango Makes Three in college and learned that penguins are one of the few animals that mate for life, I was in love.  Mate for life!  So cool!  I must go meet South, Oswald, Sly & Suki.

- We love the splash pad.  We live in proximity to two splash pads.  Decisions, decisions.

- We love to do pottery in the summer at the local pottery playhouse.  Mighty Tot time on Thursdays is the best!

- Pool, duh!

- Plant pumpkins.  I cheated on this one.  I took it from Jess's list.  We have already planted our pumpkins.  It is the first time we have ever done it so *fingers crossed* we get at least one pumpkin.

- Popsicles because what is a summer without popsicles?

- Go carts and putt-putt are a summer must.  We started the tradition last year and plan on taking the girls again this year.

-  The library has storytime on Tuesdays at 10:45am.  Score!  We plan on making it an every Tuesday event.

- Water balloons are one of our favorite activities.  Throwing a water at someone NEVER gets old.

- Catch fireflies.  The girls LOVE this.  (Sidenote: remember when you were little and would rip their tails off  and stick them on your arms so you would glow too?)

- We recently got an ice cream maker.  I have never made homemade ice cream.  We can't wait to make it with fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches, blackberries, etc.

-  Paint class is a monthly event for me.  I love it.  I always go with my sister and we have the best time.  I took Caroline last summer and she fell in love too.  I have big plans to take her a few times this summer.

- Finding seashells is so addicting.  My Dad is the ultimate seashell hunter.  He knows the names of every shell (some I am sure he has made up, ha!) and has taught my girls.  Our goal this summer?  To find a scotch bonnet.  It is our state shell.  I have only ever found ONE whole scotch bonnet.  We are feeling lucky about it this summer though!

-  Surf fishing is a must.  The girls are dying to catch a baby sand shark.  They think they are the coolest.  We did find a spiny blowfish/porcupinefish/hedgehog fish (it has a million names) when we were down at the beach Memorial weekend.  He is pretty cool, huh?


-  Shelling butter beans is one of my favorite summer activities.  It reminds me so much of my great Grandma.  She would shell and snap beans for hours in a little silver bowl with a trash can sitting beside her. I loved watching her and "helping" her.  I can't wait to teach my girls!

-  We plan on doing a lot of slipping-n-sliding this summer!  I better get the Dawn dish soap ready!

-  We have never been to Marbles.  We are going to change that this summer!

-  July 21st my first born will be 6!  We are planning a super cute birthday party!

-  Jet skis and tubing... so fun!

-  I found these on pinterest (click here to follow me) and I HAVE to make them this summer...


- We are doing the Pottery Barn Kids Summer Reading Challenge.  Jumanji and Tuesday are two of my favorites.  I can't wait to share them with my girls!

-  Get dirty.  Our feet are ALWAYS dirty in the summer ;-)

-  I've always wanted to make homemade bread.  I think it is time we try to do it!

------------------------------------------------

Happy Summer!

What is on your summer to do list??

1 comment:

Ashley said...

How am I not following your blog until now? I LOVE this summer list and need to make my own. Penguin Exhibit?? Love that idea. We need to go. Post pictures of your trip!