Monday, January 7, 2013

Old Christmas

If you are close to me, you know I am superstitious.

I am OCD on top of that.

In other words, I am crazy.

If I forget and I have to come back in the house to get it, I have to sit down and cross my legs (superstitious).  I have to cross and uncross them 3 times (OCD).  Do you follow?  It is strange.  I can't help it.

Anyway, my great grandma Reba was superstitious as well.

There is this thing called "Old Christmas".  I have always heard the term but I just did a little research and found out what "Old Christmas" is.

You can read all about it here but in short, in 1582 the Julian calendar was replaced with the Gregorian calendar.

However, Protestant Europe kept the old Julian calendar for almost 200 years longer than everyone else setting them back 11 days when they switched calendars.  Therefore after the calendar switched, Christmas was moved back from January 6th to December 25th.

These protestants raised hell claiming the 11 days had been stolen from them.  Blahblahblah.

North Carolina was oblivious to all of this calendar changing/loss of 11 days.  (Opps.)

So, North Carolina was still celebrating on the old Christmas date, January 6th.

And so "Old Christmas" was born when we started celebrating with the rest of the people on December 25th.

According to the website, some people don't remove ashes from their fireplaces during those days because they were superstitious.

Then there are those crazies like me that will not wash my sheets from Christmas (Decemeber 25th) to "Old Christmas" (January 6th).

If my Grandma Reba told us not to do it, we better not.

To be on the safe side we've carried on with the tradition.  My Mom, Aunt, and Nana will not wash our sheets.  What have we got to lose?  We don't have to wash sheets AND we don't have bad luck.  It is a win/win.

Washing sheets between Christmas and "Old Christmas"= bad luck

That is not something I have ever wanted so I do everything in my power to keep luck on my side.

So now that you understand "Old Christmas" and know that I don't wash sheets during those 11 days, today was the day I could finally wash these babies that we got for Christmas...


1600 thread count.

Smooth as silk.

Merry day after "Old Christmas"!

Here's to a good nights rest on a super soft, *fresh* bed.

Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

Shayna said...

Too funny! And 1600 thread count... They sound amaaazing!!