Saturday, June 28, 2014

{6-26-14} The day my first child had her first sleepover.

Big spent the night with a friend for the first time last night.

I was so against it. I secretly grabbed my phone and texted Ryan a heads up before he got home.

"Caroline wants to spend the night with Emily.  I don't want her too."

I knew she would be taken care of. It was just a milestone I was not ready to cross yet.

After the heads up, I totally expected Beau to walk in and have my back. He so didn't.

Caroline ran up to him as soon as he walked in the door. “Daddy, I NEED to spend the night with Emily. Please, Daddy?”

Without hesitation... without even missing a beat... Beau was like “Sure, Big!! Have fun!!”

Say what? Oh no he didn't.

So, I did what any normal parent would do. I cried.

I might have said an ugly word under my breath to him when the children were out of the room. To say I was heartbroken, would be an understatement. Not only was I just played by my Baby Daddy, I was going to have to let me first born go spend the night away from home. Away from me. Now, don't get me wrong. We are totally fine with both of our girls staying with my parents or Beau's parents. I can't explain why it is different. It just is.

I packed Big's backpack. I shoved a blanket in her pillowcase and sent her pillow.

As soon as I closed the car door and watched her drive out of the driveway, I was ready for her to come home again. I could have lost it and thrown myself in front of the car. I could have shouted, “Ok! Sleepover done! That was fun! Talk to you cats later.”

But, I couldn't. I had to let her go.

Emma had a hard time with her leaving too. She cried and shouted that she didn't understand why Big got to have a sleepover. Beau calmed her down and promised a sleepover in our bed.

He silently acted annoyed with me for making this such a big deal. I openly acted annoyed with him for going against my wishes without discussing it with me first.

I went and got in bed to cuddle with Emma and read my book. I laid on Beau's side of the bed. It just makes me feel better. His side of the bed is more comfy and inviting. It's just better.

Beau came in to get in bed with us. He cuddled with Bug too. He didn't even make me move to my side. He let me sleep on his side of the bed the whole night.  I took that as an apology.

I talked to Big around 10:30pm. They were having a great time and watching Full House.
I picked her up soon after she woke up the next morning. It was actually lunchtime or morning.

She said she had a fabulous time. “And guess what Mom? We stayed up till 3:45am!”


Yay! She was such a pleasant child for the remainder of the day.

So, word to the wise... when your child has her first sleepover, you will have a meltdown and your baby daddy will totally work against you.  However, you will score the good side of the bed and your child will have a fabulous time.  Everything will work out in the end.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Did you know that there's a new thing about not allowing kids to do sleepovers anymore? Check out this article: http://www.challies.com/articles/why-my-family-doesnt-do-sleepovers. I think it's ludicrous. My childhood and friendships would have been SO different without sleepovers. Of course, as parents we need to be vigilant about where and who our kids are spending time with, but the all-out ban is too much. As you can tell, I am NOT a fan of helicopter parenting - I think kids who are too sheltered are being set up to rebel.