Friday, March 7, 2014

When they get older, they can spell.

Second grade.

Big is in second grade!

When did that happen?  Where did that precious 2 year old that started this blog go?

Big is a character.  She still marches to the beat of her own drum.

Everyday I find myself fighting with her like she is my sister or friend.  I have to constantly remind myself that I am the parent.

She is a child that says what is on her mind which makes for interesting conversations.

And look out!  7 & 8 year olds have drama.  Like drama with a capital D.

"She said this, she said that".  "She said she wasn't going to be my friend anymore if I didn't play with her on the playground".  "She finished her test before me so that is why I didn't answer the last question.  I just HAD to turn my paper in because she did."  Oh, the second grade drama.

They push your buttons like never before.  They are testing their boundaries.  They say things like "shit" just to see your reaction.  When you explain  (or scream and yell and lose your cool completely) that it is not an appropriate word to say, you hear them a few days later spelling it.  Spelling it.

Yes, my dear friends, they can spell at this age.  I mean, they can spell like us.  Not just basic sight words.   Girlfriend can pretty much spell whatever she wants.  Your days of spelling out a conversation to your spouse or friend are O-V-E-R.

When this all happens, you learn to communicate in other ways.  You start a conversation, add a few code head nods to cover up words.  Add a few eye blinks to cover up words.  Add a few hand movements to help the other person understand what you are saying.

You pretty much turn into a talking mime.

Head nod. Two winks. Head nob. Clap hands.  Did you get all of that?

No comments: